The role of board Treasurer is an honorary role. This means that it is not a legal requirement for a board or committee to appoint a board Treasurer. However, appointing a board Treasurer makes good, practical sense if the work of a non-profit board is to be progressed satisfactorily. Upon appointment, a treasurer takes on particular duties and responsibilities appropriate to the role. In this course, we provide an insight into the financial management function as it typically applies to a non-profit organisation.
The course is divided into 5 component parts and takes approx. 1 hour to review. Participants should allow for additional time to review the templates which accompany the course. Topics are self-contained to facilitate micro-learning for the time conscious participant.
1. Introduction to the Role of Treasurer
In this lesson, we review the duties typically assigned to the role of Treasurer of a non-profit organisation.
2. Four Elements of Effective Financial Management
The lesson looks at the four elements of financial management that board Treasurers should be mindful of including planning and budgeting, financial bookkeeping, financial controls and financial reporting.
3. Managing Financial Risks
The Treasurer plays an important role in helping fellow board members to understand the financial risks associated with board decisions and plans. This lesson introduces the concept of risk management and related actions.
4. Financial Controls and Procedures
There is an extensive array of financial controls and procedures that may be applied to the financial management of a non-profit organisation. This lesson focuses on procedures that typically apply to functions relating to: income, banking, petty cash, procurement, expenditure, assets, salaries, expense claims, insurance and audited accounts.
5. Developing Financial Policies
In this lesson, we look at the importance of developing a comprehensive financial policy for an organisation and ensuring that the procedures specified in the policy are adhered to.
Upon successfully completing the course, participants may download free of charge a course Certificate of Completion.
The course costs €43.05 per participant for 60 days course access.
To purchase the course, please enter the valid details in the payment section at the bottom of the page.
Commence the Course & General Instructions
Once you have purchased the course you will automatically be enrolled on the course:
- Please progress through each of the lessons in the course sequentially.
- To move from one lesson page to another, click on the ‘Mark Complete’ button located at the end of each lesson page. Once you have clicked the ‘Mark Complete’ button, you may then progress to the next lesson in the course.
- Some lesson pages contain interactive resources. To open an interactive resource, click the orange ‘Launch’ button contained on the web page. Click on the ‘Next’ buttons or arrows within each interactive resource to move from one screen to the next within each of these resources.
- Document names in blue within a lesson or topic page denote that the document is available to download. Just click on the document name (in blue) to open it for viewing and download.
To start the course, click on the lesson 1 heading in the table below.
Enroll on this course
You are not enrolled on this course. Price Type : closed